Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bonne Annee!

Salut tout le monde,
Happy new year to all, hope everyone had a happy and healthy vacation, and I hope the snow wasn't too much of a bummer. It just started snowing again in Chambery too, but it's not too bad, just very cold.
Winter break was amazing. It was great to see Tyler and my parents and I wish it could have lasted much longer. Tyler and I started out break in Paris where we stayed 4 nights with some great couchsufers. The first guy wasn't there very much as he was packing for his vacation and working, but our 2nd hosts were very nice and cool young students so that was fun. They spent most of the time while we were there working on a homemade twister board for the boy's niece so that was pretty cute, I hope she enjoys it. Paris was great as always, the weather wasn't too bad, it was a little warmer the first couple days and then got sunnier and colder the last but Paris is always amazing for me. We visited the Pere Lachaise cemetary for my first time which was great, soo huge and pretty (sounds weird but it was!). Also went to the Musee D'Orsay again which was great as well.

From Paris we came back to Chambery for two nights, including Christmas and just chilled out and slept. We then headed off to Cannes on the 26th to meet up with my parents and drove from there to Menton, a coastal town close to Italy, and stayed in a gorgeous condo right on the beach. It was pretty cool being able to hear the waves laping up on the beach from our appartment. Menton was very pretty and we also made day trips from there to Monaco and Cannes. I have actually visited both of those cities before in high school but very briefly, and the weather was horrible, so it was nice to spend a whole day in each. That squinty picture there is Tyler and I in Menton, it was really sunny and windy, not a good picture taking combo but I think it's a funny picture.

After the south of France it was off to Florence for us and my dad rented a car so we didn't have to deal with long train rides. On the way we stopped in the Cinque Terre, and while the turning rodes made me a little sick, it was gorgeous and we even stopped in an adorable town called Vernazza and had delicious pizza. It was cool cause they don't allow cars in the little beach towns so it's very quite and beautiful. We finally arrived in Florence at our cute hotel in the center of town. Florence was also beautiful with ancient buildings and amazing art. We saw the Uffizi Museum with lots of Jesus and Mary paintings as well as the Birth of Venus and lots of old scuptures. We also saw David at the Academia which was pretty cool and quite large as well. We probably ate too much Tuscan food though, and by the end of the trip we where Italian fooded out. It was all delicous though, just too much. We also spent New Years there which was definitely and experiance with fireworks everywhere and these loud bomb like things people lit off in garbage cans, it sounded more like a war zone than new years eve. Florence was a great place to visit with all the culture and history it's pretty amazing to think about all the important people that have walked its streets.

Then it was back to good ol' Chambery where my parents got a chance to see a little of the Savoie region and my town. It was back to school for my on Monday, where I started my first business class in French and it doesn't seem too hard yet so we'll see how it goes. Only one more month of my French program then I'm going full force into the finance courses so that should be pretty exciting. I think I may venture out to ski this weekend, and my friend Iida and I are planning a trip for Febuary to Spain, Madrid and Barcelona, so I'm pretty excited for that! I've definitely been missing home more since Tyler and my parents left, but hopefully I get back into the swing of things soon and have a good end of the first semester. Hope everyone had a good week and good luck to all for getting back to Pullman, miss you lots, gros bisous!
-Steph

2 comments:

ModelMerlin said...

Hey I just came across your blog. I'm a student in Chambery too! it'd be great to talk to you about living here and stuff. Shoot me an e-mail Luna7568@aol.com

'Rents said...

We had a faffo time, and you were a wonderful host. The coffee pot works great, but we're missing the fresh croissants.

M&D